I love jambalaya, but don’t love the calories and fat that are usually hiding inside. With this recipe, you’re NOT getting ½ cup oil (1000 calories and 114 grams of fat) as well as a whack of white rice and saturated fat from pork sausage!
Yield: Serves 4 as a main dish
- ½ lb turkey sausage
- ½ lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -16 oz can tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups low sodium veggie or chicken stock
- 1 ½ Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat large roaster (or wok) to medium heat.
- Add turkey sausage and chicken breast and cook until lightly browned.
- Add all veggie items and stir fry until slightly tender.
- Add shrimp, quinoa, stock and tomatoes; stir, cover and reduce heat.
- Cook for 20 minutes or more, til desired doneness is achieved.
- Serve with a nice big side salad and ENJOY!